Members Retirees Employers
SERS Home Page

All active members of SERS will soon receive the latests News & Views newsletter, in addition to their 2014 Member Annual Statement. For the second year, the statement will reflect changes resulting from SERS' pension reform.

  [Read More...]

Members are grouped into four categories, according to the statement type they will receive. To determine your group, please refer to the front page of your News & Views or look at the lower left corner of your statement. It displays form number 25.90 and a letter (either a, b, c, or d).

Read below to determine which video you should watch:

You received Statement 25.90a. The story on the front page of your News & Views, titled "How to Read Your Annual Statement" is contained in a pink box.


You received Statement 25.90b. The story on the front page of your News & Views is contained in a yellow box.


You received Statement 25.90c. The story on the front page of your News & Views is contained in a blue box.


You received Statement 25.90d. The story on the front page of your News & Views is contained in a green box.


(9/16/14) – Due to scheduled server maintenance, members will not be able to access their online SERS accounts during the morning of Saturday, Sept. 20.

  [Read More...]

Access should be available again by Saturday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.


(9/1/14) - Beginning this fall, SERS will be hosting a new informational series designed specifically for retirees.

The first one will be held on Thursday, October 23 from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., in the O’Keefe Center of SERS' headquarters, located at 300 E. Broad St., in Columbus.

  [Read More...]

Topics will include Social Security issues, emergency preparedness, and fraud prevention. Presentations will feature experts from Social Security, the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging, and SERS. It will end with a question-and answer session. Refreshments will be served.

If you are interested in attending, click here to register online, or call 614-222-5814. Although the series is free of charge, space is limited, so register now.


(7/1/14) - SERS and State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS) recently issued guidance to employers on membership determination for positions of mutual interest between the two systems.

Such determinations became effective July 1, 2014. If you were holding a position of mutual interest and were not contributing to the correct retirement system, your membership was changed by your employer.

  [Read More...]

As a result, your employer has notified you that you are now a member of SERS. As a member of both SERS and STRS, you may retire independently from each of the systems if you are eligible, or you may combine your service credit and accounts to receive one benefit. The system with the greatest service credit will be the system that will calculate and pay your benefit. While your salaries in one year will be added together, if you have service credit in each system for the same year, you cannot be credited with more than one year of service credit for each 12 months in a year. You also may combine service credit and accounts for a disability benefit.

You will receive an information packet from us in the next few months. In the meantime, click here for a link to the Member Handbook. Please contact us toll-free at 800-878-5853 or send a secure message if you have further questions about your SERS membership.

For more information about membership determination between the systems, click here to view the systems’ joint message to employers.


(6/19/14)-  For the 29th consecutive year, SERS has received the Certificate of Achievement for Financial Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA).

  [Read More...]

The GFOA awards the certificate to government entities whose annual financial reports are judged to adhere to program standards. It represents the highest award in government financial reporting.

SERS received the award for its FY2013 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.


Get the Latest SERS News Delivered to Your Email

Join the thousands of other SERS members, retirees, and employers who are already getting the monthly Board Meeting Highlights.

If you care about your SERS health care news, fund status, and financial updates, just subscribe to our email list. You will receive monthly news about SERS events, health care, and investments. 

Archived News

Click here for previous SERS Spotlight articles.

  • Change font size: 
  • A
  • A
  • A
Ohio Pension Reform News

Click here for the latest news on Pension Reform.

Oppose Social Security Offset and Windfall Penalties

We encourage SERS members and retirees to contact their members of Congress to ask them to support elimination of these provisions. Contacting your legislators is easy using SERS' Legislative Action Alert. By entering your ZIP code, you’ll have access to the contact information (e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address) of your federal legislators.