Before you call, here are answers to some common questions we get every day.


1099 and 1095 Forms

1099 and 1095 forms will be mailed before January 31.


Member Annual Statements

Paper statements were mailed in September. You also can access your annual statement in Account Login.


Refund Status

SERS continues to process Refund Applications. Please allow 6-8 weeks for payment to be issued from the date SERS receives the completed form. Also please keep in mind that refunds cannot be issued unless you have terminated your SERS-covered position and three months have passed since your last date of service.


Inactive Statements

If you received an Inactive Statement and wish to refund your account, please complete the form you received with your Inactive Statement.


Reporting the Death of a Member

If you need to report the death of a member, please use the following link to complete a notification form:

Report the Death of a SERS Member or Benefit Recipient


If you have a question that is not addressed here, there are four ways to contact us:

  1. Use Account Login to send us a private message
  2. Email your question to
  3. Call us at 1-800-878-5853. Your call will be answered in the order it was received.
  4. Leave a voicemail message for our support team. We will return your call as soon as possible.

Please, only use one of the above contact methods. Contacting us more than once will cause a longer delay in our response time.


Frequently Asked Health Care Questions


I am turning 65 soon. How do I enroll in SERS’ Medicare Coverage?

SERS offers a Medicare Advantage Plan with Part D drug coverage. Enrollment in Medicare Part B is required.

SERS’ non-Medicare plan and Wraparound HRA participants will receive an Approaching 65 packet with Medicare sign-up instructions three months before their 65th birthday. Once proof of Medicare Part B is received, retirees are placed in the SERS Medicare Advantage plan.

Retirees who waived health care coverage can enroll in an SERS Medicare Advantage plan within 90 days of becoming Medicare eligible. To apply, waived retirees must email us at or call 1-800-878-5853 to request a health care application.

I am losing employer coverage. Can I enroll with SERS?

Yes. The involuntary loss of employer coverage is a qualifying event to enroll in SERS coverage, but you must do it within 31 days of employer coverage ending. Proof of involuntary termination is required. Email us at or call 1-800-878-5853 to request current premiums and a health care application.


When Can I Enroll in Dental and Vision?

SERS allows you to enroll in dental and vision coverage:

• at the time you begin receiving a monthly benefit
• during the fall Open Enrollment period
• within 31 days of an involuntary termination of other dental or vision coverage. Proof of involuntary termination is required.

Once enrolled, you cannot cancel coverage mid-year. You can cancel coverage during Open Enrollment.

Once I enroll, when will I receive my medical and drug coverage ID cards?

SERS’ medical and drug plans issue ID cards 5-7 days before your plan takes effect. If your ID cards do not arrive by the coverage date and medical services are scheduled, please contact our office.

If my spouse or children are covered on my Delta Dental plan, will they receive ID cards?

Delta Dental only issues ID cards in the primary account holder’s name, the SERS member. A spouse and children are sub-accounts under the primary account. Call Delta at 1-800-524-0149 and follow the prompts as a “subscriber” to request a replacement ID card.


How can I find a dentist in the Delta Dental network?

Delta offers a PPO and Premier network; however, you receive the best benefit when using the PPO network dentist. In addition, if a dentist participates in both networks you automatically receive the higher benefit. To find a network dentist or learn if your dentist participates, visit and click on the “find a dentist” icon.


If I have vision coverage, will I receive a VSP ID card?

No, VSP does not issue ID cards. Instead, when you see your provider, tell them that you have VSP, and they will look you up in the system with your Social Security number. If your provider does not accept VSP, you can pay out-of-pocket and submit a claim at or print the manual claim form to mail.


Where can I find SERS health coverage information online?

You can find helpful information in the Retirees section of the website.  Visit the Health Care in Retirement page to find current information on:

  • Enrollment and Cancellation
  • Plans and Premiums
  • Medicare Basics
  • Dental and Vision
  • Open Enrollment
  • Health Care Resources
Before You Call: Answers to Frequently Asked QuestionsCLICK HERE