Upcoming Election for Full-Term Board Seats
Employee and Retiree Member Board Seats Up for Election
One employee-member seat and one retiree-member seat are up for election with the terms beginning July 1, 2024, and ending June 30, 2028. Any member of SERS, other than a disability benefit recipient, is eligible to run for an employee-member seat, and any SERS disability or service retiree is eligible to run for a retiree-member seat.
To be considered for election, the following requirements must be met:
- Obtain signatures of 500 SERS members on a paper or electronic nominating petition provided by SERS with not less than 20 signatures of members from each of at least 10 counties where those members are employed
- Make sure that each member signing the nominating petition, whether paper or electronic, indicates his or her employer, county of employment, and last four digits of his or her Social Security number or full SERS member ID number
- Obtain signatures of 150 SERS retirees on a nominating petition provided by SERS with not less than 10 signatures of retirees from each of at least five counties where those retirees reside
- Make sure that each retiree signing the nominating petition, whether paper or electronic, indicates his or her county of residence and last four digits of his or her Social Security number or full SERS member ID number
- Begin gathering signatures on or after August 8, 2023
- Deliver paper petitions with original signatures and a completed original Certification Form to the SERS office no later than 4:30 p.m., EDT, December 1, 2023; electronic signature collection also will end at this time
For this election, the nomination process includes the ability for active and retired members to sign an electronic petition form on SERS’ website to nominate a candidate. The electronic form is secure and requires the same information as the paper form. Members provide only one signature either on paper or electronically. Multiple submissions from one person for the same candidate are not counted.
All ballots must be received in the SERS office no later than 4:30 p.m. EST, March 4, 2024.
Ballots will be delivered unopened to the judges appointed by the Board. The judges will make the final determination of the validity of the ballots, which will be counted on March 5, 2024, in accordance with the Board’s election laws, election rule, policy, and procedure.
Anyone interested in running for one of the open Board seats must contact Tim Barbour by phone at 614-222-5901 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to have an electronic form on the SERS website created with their name.
Visit our Board Election page for an election timeline and a description of the Board’s responsibilities.